Supporting Young Musicians
2020 Sussex Young Musician of the Year Competition
For health and safety reasons due to the coronavirus crisis, Coro Nuovo had to pause the competition in March in 2020. However, we have established a safe way of running the competition virtually and are therefore now accepting applications for this year’s competition.
- The closing date for applications is the 30th August 2020.
- Four finalists will be announced in September 2020.
- The competition prizes will be awarded in October 2020.
In order to enter this competition you must:
– Be aged between 18 and 26 on the 30th August
– Be embarking on or intending to embark on a professional music career
– Have a connection with Sussex for example by being born and/or currently or previously living in Sussex.
The Sussex Young Musican Competition prizes to be awarded this year are:
• £1000 for the Sussex Young Musician of the Year
• £500 for the competition runner-up
• £250 each for two other competition finalists
Could you be the 2020 Sussex Young Musician of the Year?
If you would like to enter the 2020 Sussex Young Musician of the Year Competition, please first read carefully the Competition Details.
These can be viewed or downloaded using the link here.
No later than the 30th August
- Complete the online application form
- Send a separate one-page summary of your musical experience and how you would benefit from the competition prize
- Upload a video of your competition performance lasting a maximum of 10 minutes. You also have up to 2 minutes at the start of the video to introduce yourself and explain why you chose your competition piece(s).
The links you need to complete the application process are provided below.
Broadcaster Katie Derham Joins The Sussex Young Musician Judging Panel
Coro Nuovo is delighted to announce that Katie Derham has kindly agreed to be one of our three expert judges on the 2020 Sussex Young Musician of the Year Competition.
Katie who is a Sussex resident, has presented the Proms, hosted the classical BRIT awards, conducted orchestral, choral and operatic music through BBC’s Maestro programme and is also an amateur violinist.
Conductor Mark Wigglesworth Joins The Sussex Young Musician Judging Panel
Coro Nuovo is delighted to announce that Mark Wigglesworth has kindly agreed to be one of our three expert judges on the 2020 Sussex Young Musician of the Year Competition.
Mark who is also a Sussex resident, is an internationally renowned and Olivier Award-winning conductor. He has held positions as Principal Guest Conductor of the Swedish Radio Symphony, Music Director of the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, and most recently Music Director of English National Opera. He is currently the Principal Guest Conductor of the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra.
2020 Competition Main Sponsor
Coro Nuovo is particularly grateful to the Traditional Oak and Timber Company (Tradoak) who will again be the main sponsor for this year’s competition.
Neil Peskett of Tradoak said: “In these most challenging of times, Tradoak is delighted to continue to support talented Sussex Young Musicians because it is essential to invest in the future of our culture and arts.”